Call us on...

+44 (0) 1582 857940

…or email us

Call us on...

+44 (0) 1582 857940

…or email us

1976 Ferrari 512BB LM (RHD)

A car with attitude!  This is the very first right-hand drive Ferrari 512 BB made and was exhibited by Maranello Concessionaires at the 1976 London Motor Show.  Beautifully presented in Rosso Corsa, the car has an ‘LM’ engine conversion with associated bodywork modifications.  Part of a private collection for nearly 30 years, the car has covered just over 37,000 miles since new.

Our car was the very first right-hand drive Ferrari 512 BB produced and was imported into the UK by Maranello Concessionaires in October 1976.  Originally presented in Azzurro Metallizzato, a metallic light blue, with a beige Connolly leather interior, the car has been refinished in Rosso Corsa, a colour much more in keeping with both its looks and its parentage.

Having exhibited the new car at the London Motor Show in October 1976, Maranello Concessionaires immediately sold it to Maranello Sales for use as a demonstrator; the car being registered OPC 86R on 2 November 1976.  Ferrari’s latest ‘supercar’ naturally created considerable press interest, the car being road tested by several magazines and appeared on the front cover of the 9 April 1977 issue of Autocar.

As press interest died down, Maranello Sales sold the car to Robert Cooper, then of Coopers Publicity Services, in September 1977, taking a BMW 633 Coupé in part exchange.  It’s possible that Mr Cooper had the car resprayed as the invoice from Maranello Sales confirms a verbal quote for £1,045 for doing so.

The car was subsequently owned by John Woodfield, the owner of Emblem Sports Cars, a very successful Ferrari dealer in Blandford Forum, Dorset, John using the car for many years before selling it.  As a Ferrari specialist, Emblem carried out an ‘LM’ engine conversion that increased power output from 360 bhp to a probable 440 bhp.  Now registered TFX 550R, the invoice noted the mileage to be 14,180 miles.  It is believed that, to make use of the extra power, wider wheels were fitted along with the ‘LM-style’ bodywork modifications.

In October 1990, the car passed into the ownership of an Austrian enthusiast with a private collection of Ferraris, the car being stored in the collection for the next 26 years.

Launched at the 1976 Paris Motor Show, the Ferrari 512 BB was the second in the ‘boxer’ series and replaced the Ferrari 365 GT4/BB.  Although the Ferrari 512 BB shared similar styling with its predecessor, the big difference was the engine: the flat-12 being increased from 4.4 to 4.9 litres and the compression ratio increased.  Fitted with four, triple-choke Weber 40 IF 3C carburettors, the engine modifications produced 360 bhp, more torque and improved driveability.  The Ferrari 512 BB continued in production until 1981, 929 cars being produced before it was replaced by the fuel-injected Ferrari 512 BBi.

Having purchased the car and returned it to the UK we carried out a thorough inspection and recommissioned it, carrying out a full service, an engine-out cam belt service and fitting new tyres.  As could be expected, having spent more than half its life in a collection the car is in exceptional condition both inside and out and has a mileage of just 37,471 miles.

If you‘d like more information about this fabulous car, or would like to arrange a visit to discuss its possible future with you, please contact us.

Price:  £349,500